– What improvement works did you do to your place?
Kitchen side return extension
– What your wish list included? Did you get it?
To have more living space for our growing family, and a lovely new kitchen with more light coming into it. Yes we did get all of those things - we now have space for a kitchen table and a play area for our children, and we have skylights and bi-fold doors which let in maximal light.
– How the new design improved the way you use your place?
Our new kitchen area is where we spend most of our time, when just at home with the family or when entertaining friends. It’s a very sociable open-plan space, as the cooking/preparing food can happen while friends and family are enjoying themselves so the chef doesn’t miss out on anything! We also use the garden a lot more in the summer – although the garden is really small, having the large doors opening out into it means that the kitchen and garden become one space, which is great for barbecues and playing outside in the summer.
– How much time do you spend now in the new part?
Probably 75% of our time.
– What do you like the most?
That’s very hard to say – I love all of it! My favourite parts are the light, the Mexican-inspired tiles we chose, and the winter garden courtyard, which we’ve filled with ferns and greenery. On a practical note, I love the central island which serves as a huge worktop, a drinks table for parties and has lots of additional cupboard space; also, having the hidden cupboard for the washing machine and clothes rack means that we don’t have washing on show all the time!
– How was the whole design experience?
We really enjoyed the design part of the project – from playing around with floorplans to picking styles we liked, our meetings with Debbie were always productive but fun.
– If you were to give a piece of advice for the people thinking about renovating, what that will be?
Think carefully about how you use the space, and don’t try and fit too much in. Pick the features that are really important to you at the start, so you know which to prioritise.
– Three words about how the space makes you feel?
Relaxed, happy, poor (!)
– Three words about how the new space improves your lifestyle?